Re: What is Vintage?

To: BMcgu22954@aol.com
Subject: Re: What is Vintage?
From: Susan <alfasun@esslink.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 20:08:22 -0400
BMcgu22954@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-07-12 05:09:09 EDT, ensgwo@bath.ac.uk (Dr G W Owen)
> writes:
>
> > Can anyone tell me if there is a way of checking the capacity of an engine
> >  through the plug hole? You can not measure the gas because of valve
> >  overlap, so it has to be a physical measurement of bore and stroke.
> >
> >  Geraint Owen
> >
> Having worked in the pits at NASCAR races, a NASCAR official will come around
> the pits with a wooden box lined with velvet. Inside is a much coveted glass
> tube with a piston inside. On one end is a hose that is put in a spark plug
> hole. The outside of the glass tube has graduations on the outside. This
> device is used to "pump your motor" to check for displacement.
> NASCAR commonly creates their own methods and devices for checking cars, and
> they were not very fond of fielding questions about this device when I was
> asking.
>
> Bruce McGuire

It is basically a chemist's buret.
VSCCA has one of these, but it has not been used very much over the
years due to the fact that it is a pain to do it. You measure the
displacement by filling the cylinder with a liquid when the valves are
closed and siphoning it into the buret, and do the math. Actually it is
pretty accurate.

Susan