Re: What is Vintage?

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: What is Vintage?
From: jarrid_gross@juno.com (Jarrid M Gross)
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 16:17:53 EDT
Vintage racers,

OK, Now I'll bite.

Ive been listing this list server for over a year.

As a new member of  VARA, I see that there are a lot of "questionable"
modifications performed as standard prcatice.  I am sure that other
clubs are more strict about internal mods, but what exactly constitutes
allowable mods?

Feel free to resond by club.

I ask this question in all honesty to understand what the consensus
is regarding these mods.

Few people could successfully argue that putting in a steel crank,
carillo rods and forged pistons could be done exclusively in the
interests of safety and availability or lack thereof.

I have been to the track prior to joining up, and have seen a bunch of
interesting things, like motors spinning 2000 to 4000 RPM more than
they ever could in the 60s, super dooper extra lumpy cams,
compression beyond anything vaguely stock, roller rockers ECT.

This is fine with me, but seems to me to sort of go against the grain
as far as most club's intentions are concerened.  I dont mind being
passed by these cars with a 30 MPH speed differential, but it does
sort of seem sort of unnerving knowing it will be impossible to be
competitive with such a conservative interpretation of the rules.

Jarrid Gross