Re: What is Vintage?

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net, Roger Garnett <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: What is Vintage?
From: Jim Hayes <hayes@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 23:12:04 -0400
Roger Garnett wrote:

> One unmentioned issue, is "Why do the rules exist?"- what is the intent? And,
> are the results what was wanted?

In every instance that I can recall, rules are make to insure "fair
competition." Wheras:
1.The stricter the rules, the more rampant the cheating, and the more
subtle the cheating. Witness SCCA showroom stock, where you only seem to
need to finish sixth to win the runoffs, since at least the top five
cars get disqualified for cheating.
2. Vintage racing seems to he always trying to minimize competition.
Vintage is supposed to be fun racing, and we have had suggested many
times on this forum that if you want to be competitive, go race SCCA,
IMSA, F1 or whatever.
Therefore:
Vintage racing should have minimal rules and minimal emphasis (and
reward) for winning.

-
Jim Hayes  Winchester, MA, USA
hayes@mediaone.net         http://www.fotec.com/jim.htm
jeh@fotec.com              http://www.fotec.com/
All generalizations, with the possible exception of this one, are false!