Re: What is Vintage?

To: Dr G W Owen <ensgwo@bath.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: What is Vintage?
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 08:32:24 -0400
Unless I'm mistaken (which is incredibly possible) the puffer works on the
compression stroke and is accurate to about 1% - 2% unless somethings been
done to the engine to defeat it.  I've read of a device developed in Europe
that measures the bore and stroke thru the sparkplug hole in Racecar
Engineering last year - I think developed for one of the high dollar pro
series over there.

Note that a puffer won't catch a de-stroked / overbored engine, which I
think is pretty common in vintage racing.