Cyl capacity.

To: Dr G W Owen <ensgwo@bath.ac.uk>
Subject: Cyl capacity.
From: David Laver <dlaver@ms.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 10:35:20 +0100 (BST)
> Can anyone tell me if there is a way of checking the capacity of an engine
> through the plug hole? You can not measure the gas because of valve
> overlap, so it has to be a physical measurement of bore and stroke.

It should be easy enough to make a little brolly type of thing that goes down
the hole and opens as far as the bore alows.  The ship in a bottle principle !
  Stroke is easy enough with a graduated rod.  This all depends on the plug
hole giving good access which in an Austin 7 is very much not the case.
 Perhaps an endoscope and some sort of projected 'ruler' ?

Set it as a design excercise for your students !!

David