Re: What is Vintage?

To: OLD67@aol.com, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: What is Vintage?
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 12:00:18 -0400 (EDT)
Ely;

I hear you and agree. A "spec" series (like Fords) can equalize things much
more than some of the other classes.  It can also work to keep costs "in
line" (you can spend as much as you want, but the low budget racer can also
be competitive).

I've raced open wheels myself in the past (Ford and Russell/Mazda) and found
them to be competitive and fun, but personally, I prefer having fenders (and
a roof, esp when its raining!).

Along these lines, I just received a mailing yesterday from RMVR, announcing
a new engine policy aimed at keeping "cheaters" in line.  It requires
everyone to submit an "engine displacement form" filled out by the owner, and
engine builder (if applicable).  Random physical inspections will be done at
the tracks, including pumping for displacement.  Racers are required to bring
the necessary gaskets to facilitate pumping.  Pumping would start on those
who are much faster than other similar cars in their class.  New and/or
rebuilt engines require a "sign off" of the bore/stroke before the head is
assembled.

Anyone found with "illegal" motors will be removed from the event results and
will be listed (along with the engine builder....I see attorneys waiting in
line...) in the RMVR newsletter.  Falsifying the form will result in a "major
penalty".

As one who prefers to drive, rather than wrench, I find this an onerous and
potentially expensive requirement.  I would suggest a "tear down" bond be
posted, like SCCA does (used to do?).

There certainly needs to be a balance between what's authentic and original,
and what's safe and cost effective.  I agree that radical changes can be
argued to be safer, but a line needs to be drawn.  The problem is one line
just doesn't work for every case.  A suggestion is that each race group
 (i.e. EP, DP, BSR, FF, FV, etc.) have their own technical committe, made up
of racing participants who set the rules and draw the lines for each class.
 If the AP guys agree that roll cages that locate suspension points are OK,
then so be it.  CSRG at least queried all the production car drivers prior to
laying down new tire rules.  The results have been well accepted by all the
production car people as far as I can tell.  This, more interactive, approach
seems to work well.

Its also interesting to note that often times those that complain the loudest
are not the ones competing regularly and supporting their local club(s).....

Myles