Jack the Bear

To: <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Jack the Bear
From: "Rybacki, Donald J" <DRYBACKI@nmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 09:26:17 EDT
We wife and I are working on some racing related research in which we
have come across the phrase "running like Jack the Bear." Since the
folks on this list seemed to have the straight poop on the "balls to the
wall" thread a couple months ago, I thought I would throw this one out
and see if any one has any idea where this particluar phrase comes
from/means.  I do sort of remember hearing the phrase as far back as the
late fifties, early sixties, but puberty was interfering with a lot of
cerebral functions back then.

Dr. Donald J. Rybacki
Department of Communication and Performance Studies
Northern Michigan University
Marquette, MI  49855
Phone:  (906) 227-1655