Re: HMSA Wine Country Classic

To: vinracer@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: HMSA Wine Country Classic
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 11:26:37 PDT
I don't think it's the announcers.  You can't hear them when you're in
the car anyway.  We have announcers at CSRG events, and we usually
manage to keep things under control.  They are also publishing printed
results, which HMSA never used to do.  That's a more tangible piece of
evidence of one's supposed driving ability.  Even though they don't give
out position trophies, I suppose some people might use the race results
as bragging rights.  I tend to think there aren't that many people
waving the results sheet around.  I agree with what Don said.  I call it
the "faster and faster" mentality.  People who want to go faster should
go buy a current Formula Atlantic.

Are people using the race track as an outlet for all the pent up
frustration they get in daily life?  Are the pressures of the office and
an ever-worsening commute making people go crazy when they get to the
track?  I can tell you, when I climb into my race car, my boss, his
agenda, and the idiots on the local freeways are the LAST thing on my
mind.  What I like about racing IS the clarity of purpose.  If people
are polluting that clarity with the aggression they are being "trained"
to exhibit in everyday life, I have to reconsider my participation.  I
think a serious attitude check is in order for all vintage clubs.