Re: HMSA Wine Country Classic

To: favres@engmail.ulinear.com, vinracer@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: HMSA Wine Country Classic
From: cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 11:54:17 -0700
I don't know what was going on, but from my vantage point in the box at
turn 4, there were many drivers that were *way* too aggressive for a
vintage race. We saw many examples of folks getting the door closed on
them after getting the nose up to the front wheel, and severl
incredibly stupid spins.

We almost had a Testa Rossa sandwich when 17 yellow spun 180 at the
apex on the first lap and came *this close* to sideswiping 9 red.
Amazingly, there was no contact, even though there were about 10 rows
of cars yet to come.  I'm stunned that he spun at all on the first lap.
*That* is completely out of character for those guys (I've been
watching them for many years) and sums up what was going on all
weekend.  He did the right thing and rolled off to the inside,
collected himself and got restarted. He (and the rest of the group)
were very lucky and/or skilled.

It was in marked contrast to the stupidest thing I saw all weekend -
the driver of 58 yellow Corvette in the "big bore" production group. In
Saturday's qualifying race,  he was gridded third, I think.  On the
first lap, he passed on the outside, spun (predictably) about 270 and
ROLLED BACKWARDS ACROSS TRAFFIC to continue.  I wanted to find him in
the paddock and hit him with a stick.

There was a completely uncharacteristic amount of carnage. I don't kow
what was going on, but I hope it gets stopped.