Re: HMSA Wine Country Classic

To: vinracer@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: HMSA Wine Country Classic
From: vinracer@ix.netcom.com
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 07:47:56 -0500 (CDT)
On 05/19/97 11:54:17 you wrote:

>I don't know what was going on, but from my vantage point in the box at
>turn 4, there were many drivers that were *way* too aggressive for a
>vintage race. We saw many examples of folks getting the door closed on
>them after getting the nose up to the front wheel, and severl
>incredibly stupid spins.
>
>We almost had a Testa Rossa sandwich when 17 yellow spun 180 at the
>apex on the first lap and came *this close* to sideswiping 9 red.
>Amazingly, there was no contact, even though there were about 10 rows
>of cars yet to come.  I'm stunned that he spun at all on the first lap.
>*That* is completely out of character for those guys (I've been
>watching them for many years) and sums up what was going on all
>weekend.  He did the right thing and rolled off to the inside,
>collected himself and got restarted. He (and the rest of the group)
>were very lucky and/or skilled.
>
>It was in marked contrast to the stupidest thing I saw all weekend -
>the driver of 58 yellow Corvette in the "big bore" production group. In
>Saturday's qualifying race,  he was gridded third, I think.  On the
>first lap, he passed on the outside, spun (predictably) about 270 and
>ROLLED BACKWARDS ACROSS TRAFFIC to continue.  I wanted to find him in
>the paddock and hit him with a stick.
>
>There was a completely uncharacteristic amount of carnage. I don't kow
>what was going on, but I hope it gets stopped.

Chris;

See my postings to the list for a full discription of what I saw at turn
one.  I did hear the announcer making note of an entrant's finishing
postioning in previous WCC events.  Maybe because WCC is a high profile
event that being first carries some status and people are driving beyond
their's and the car's limits??  Any thoughts??

vinracer@ix.netcom.com
1963 Porsche 356B #631