Re: HMSA Wine Country Classic

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: HMSA Wine Country Classic
From: Malcolm Cox <malcox.ppp@napanet.net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 21:53:08 -0700
One further incident at HMSA Sears has made me consider more carefully
the mechanics of safety.
A Jag XK 120 went wide at turn 11 (essentially a hairpin surrounded by
concrete barrier, softened with a tire wall).
Hitting the tire wall relatively slowly at a shallow angle, the XK
rolled up the tire wall and tipped over onto it's roll bar.
Shortly afterwards an engine fire started and liquid started spilling
out from under the bonnet.
The driver scurried away quite safely no doubt a little shaken.  The
fire was minor and was soon snuffed out.
Although not a participant this weekend, the more I thought about this
incident, the more frightening it became.

a) I now intend to raise my roll bar to allow more room to get out if I
ever find a road on my head.
Although my roll bar just meets SCCA height specs, I don't relish trying
to scramble out of a wedge shaped slot (MGA roadster) in a hurry.

b) I have just ordered an inertia/rollover switch fuel pump cutoff.
This will switch off both ignition and electric fuel pump in the event
of a crunch or inversion.
They are available from Moss motors (800) 667-7872, part number is
900-240, cost is $59.95.
Seems like a lot of safety (at least peace of mind) for the price of a
couple of tanks of gas.
Malcolm Cox Napa CA 1960 MGA