FW: Re: HMSA Wine Country Classic

To: vintage-race
Subject: FW: Re: HMSA Wine Country Classic
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 13:38:34 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from
[bkincaid@reasoning.com (Bill Kincaid)]]

     Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 13:19:59 -0700
     From: bkincaid@reasoning.com (Bill Kincaid)
     Subject: Re: HMSA Wine Country Classic

> mind.  What I like about racing IS the clarity of purpose.  If people
> are polluting that clarity with the aggression they are being "trained"
> to exhibit in everyday life, I have to reconsider my participation.  I
> think a serious attitude check is in order for all vintage clubs.

Amen.  Blind aggression has no more place on the race track than
on the highway.  When I got into racing two years ago one of the
most appealing things about it to me was the fraternal nature of the
competition; competition, to be sure, but gentlemanly competition-
I race with the same guys weekend after weekend, and I think we
all feel that our peers' respect is a whole lot more valuable
than a $12 trophy.  And speaking of $, this is a damned expensive
enough sport anyway, what with the Occasional Unavoidable that
wasn't anyone's fault (I learned right away the proper squint and
inflection to use when pronouncing "That's racing...").

And by the way, I don't run vintage- I'm a regional FF racer in
SCCA.  I'm truly sorry to hear that stupidity and aggression are
to be found in vintage racing, which I imagined to be the very
bastion of courtesy and gentlemanly behavior.  What I can say for
certain is that these virtues in no way preclude tremendously
close, competitive, exciting racing.