Re: HMSA Wine Country Classic

To: vinracer@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: HMSA Wine Country Classic
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 10:50:22 PDT
Please describe what happened for the benefit of the list members.  I
was there, but did not see this incident.  I was very disturbed by a
series of incidents at the WCC.  Steve Earle was not pleased either, as
he called an emergency "Cool it you idiots" drivers meeting Friday
during pre-race practice.  This was a result of having a Jaguar XK120
getting wrong side up in 11.  I was in a spot to see it, but wasn't
looking at the time.  I didn't even hear anything.  Somehow, the car was
upside down with the nose in the tires.  The roll bar did its job.  The
driver climbed out and was ok.  It did not look like the car suffered
too badly.  The same was not true of other incidents.  I saw a rare
Cooper sports racer with the whole left rear corner torn off and much
Aluminum pushed around, and a Shelby GT350 with a front corner gone.
Fortunately, nobody was injured in any of these incidents AFAIK.

What's the deal?  Did people just show up in a real stupid state of
mind?  Some of these cars are simply irreplaceable.  It makes no sense
to bend the metal rather than suffer a bruised ego.  Never mind all the
mechanical preparation, what happened to the mental preparation?  The
mental preparation should NOT be "Win the race or don't come back."  It
SHOULD be "Have fun, be cool, don't bend anything."