Re: U-Haul Warning

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: U-Haul Warning
From: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@mail.presby.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 17:44:58 -0400
All of these stories sound like the problem I had with them 27 years
ago when I moved up to South Carolina from Tallahassee, Florida.  I
had a barely running 1965 Spitfire that I wanted to tow behind a
rather small U-Haul truck.  I arranged for both at least a month
ahead of time.  When the move was only a couple of days away, I
stopped in to see if everything was okay.  "Fine" they said.  On the
morning of the move, I went to pick up the truck and tow hitch and
. . . . . . .  You know the story; neither the truck nor the
hitch was there.  No explanation; just some problem that couldn't
be helped.  The guy did point out that they had their biggest
truck available and that I could maybe drive that little red
furrin car up into it.  I spent the next two hours trying to find
some old loading dock that would permit just such a ridiculous
solution.  But it worked!  The problem was that even with a loading
dock, the truck's bumper caused about a two-foot gap that I had to
clear with some heavy timbers.  Anyway, we loaded the truck with
boxes stashed all around the Spit, hoping that the load wouldn't
shift in transit (there was no way to tie it down).  When I got
here in SC, I almost got arrested by a zealous cop who saw me
unloading the car in near darkness.  He thought it was a stolen car.
When I explained to him that U-Haul had screwed me, he seemed to
appreciate my problem.  Then he helped me negotiate a looong gap from
the truck to a modest hill that I had backed up to.

Tim