Re: U-Haul Warning

To: <WBabbitt@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: U-Haul Warning
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 11:07:08 -0400
> I'm sending this to the list because:
> (1) You may have occasion to need these services to move LBCs or parts,
and
> (2) You are a large group of consumers.

I have to agree with comments on U-Haul problems, but I think a lot of it
has to do with the dealers... In my area, (Burlington County NJ) I won't go
to the main U-Haul center in Mt Laurel, as I have had too many problems with
their BS. U-Haul is really starting to get a bad reputation with me, and my
friends. Often, equipment I wish to rent is broken or otherwise impaired-
usually taillights which are missing, destroyed, inoperative. One friend in
MD. recently had a wonderful experience of pulling up to pick up the car
carrier, and seeing someone else hooking it up to their just rented truck.
And the manager refused to look out the window and acknowledge the
situation. So he ended up going to another dealer, having some troubles, and
finally getting it there.(Long, funny story, but I want to tell my own
experiences!lol...)

I rented a truck once for a local, just a couple hour run, and instead of
one of the very pretty and brand new trucks on the lot, they brought out an
old 74 wheezer-(Not that I generally mind old cars!) with a bad clutch and
the steering wheel spokes pointing vertically! I asked why I couldn't have
one of the shiny new automatics with air, and they told me they were
all(About 35 of them) reserved! I started dealing with a couple of the local
shops who deal in U-Hauls- generally I can walk in and get what I need off
the lot. I was totally amazed when I went to take my 47 Plymouth to Md. last
month, that I could walk in and reserve a car carrier- the big one- from a
local shop, with no problems. Usually, when I call U-Haul, they give me BS
about them all being rented till doomsday, and I might have to go with a
dolly.

When I worked for the Navy Exchange system in Pax River MD, I rented a
U-haul, and car dolly, they had trouble getting things there on time. (It
was a Navy U-Haul rental setup through the NEX) The manager bent over
backwards, got me a beautiful truck, unlimited mileage, and a full car
carrier, at no extra cost!

When I picked up my Herald in Baltimore, I got the car carrier from a U-Haul
dealer who had it sitting on his lumber and hardware store parking lot-
damaged with a broken taillight. I rented it on a Tuesday, Picked it up
Friday, and dropped it off Monday at 8AM. I only got charged for 1 day!

In summation- if you're going to rent from U-Haul, avoid the big dealers,
and make friends with one of the local shops.

Scott