Re: Street Tires in Stock Classes and Fewer Allowances

To: Ghsharp@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net, seb@scca.com
Subject: Re: Street Tires in Stock Classes and Fewer Allowances
From: JDMurphy47@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 19:59:47 EST
GH,
With all due respect:

1+ 5. This is not so much an issue of liking DOT slicks as looking long  term
at advancing technology and how it affects insurance risks.  A  separate
temporary street tire stock class may be worth looking at.
2.  But the street tire classes allow EVEN MORE changes than stock -  spend
more money than stock to run street tires.  I vaguely  remember one argument in
the ST proposal said that street tires would restrict  the performance of
this class and it has.
3.  This discussion is not out of bounds because it was brought  on by Danny
Shields' articles and this latest flap of too high a speed course  design at
Ft. Myers NT.  Also, this proposal is to change the rule for 2007  so it has to
start the process now.
4.  To arbitrarily exclude this topic due to "too much bandwidth "  taken by
the Ft. Myers NT does not hold water because the higher speeds are the  direct
result of DOT slicks in the stock classes.

The insurance people will surely, over time, increase their  pressure to slow
down the speeds and removing the DOT slicks from stock  classes is one good
way to do this very thing without going to too tight of  a course (not fun).

GH, I appreciate your feedback and respect your opinion as I have over all
these many years.

Jim