Re: Street Tires in Stock Classes and Fewer Allowances

To: JDMurphy47@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net, seb@scca.com
Subject: Re: Street Tires in Stock Classes and Fewer Allowances
From: SJMARCY@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 15:55:34 EST
In a message dated 2/22/2006 3:49:01 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jdmurphy47@aol.com writes:

With  Danny Shields' recent articles about this and several postings touching
on  this subject along with high speeds being obtained by high performance
stock  cars (like SS), it is now high time to propose the  removal of DOT R
Tires (called "cheater slicks") from the stock classes.  There are many
arguments in favor of this but several readily come to mind: 1. The technology
of
stock cars and street tires is advancing and DOT slicks are no longer  needed.
2.
The stock class will come closer to being truly "stock" by one step  and help
the newbies. I am sure others on this list can add to this. Two other  stock
allowances should be considered for removal: 1. Cat back exhaust - the  new
exhausts are better. 2. Any air filter - again better stock technology.  The
only one that I would keep is the shock absorber allowance but I would  cost
restrict these - if this is even possible.   Time to make stock  more "stock"
and
still have lots of fun. Jim
One data point on an admittedly unusual car, the Elise.  On a given  one
minute course, the stock street R compound tires are only roughly a second  or
so
slower than a Hoosier shod car.  You can drive the Yokohama A048s  about 8,000
miles on the street and for about the first 5,000 they will be  gummy.  They
are fine on the street durability and rain wise as long as  it's above 45-50
degrees or so.  With the full street tires, the Yokohama  Advan Neova AD07s
about one more second is lost.  Now the differences will  change with course
and
car but there are many real street tires that drive just  fine for autocross.

Stan