Re: Street Tires in Stock Classes and Fewer Allowances

To: teampointless@britsys.net, JDMurphy47@aol.com, bluethunder@adelphia.net,
Subject: Re: Street Tires in Stock Classes and Fewer Allowances
From: SJMARCY@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:33:06 EST
In a message dated 2/22/2006 9:01:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
teampointless@britsys.net writes:

IMHO if  the insurance companies are/get too concerned about our events
(unlikely if  we police ourselves, they are only concerned about claims and
payouts, not  measuring how fast we are going) they have much easier and more
effective  ways to control the events, raise the premiums sky high or simply
stop  writing policies! They aren't going to dictate course designs, there is
no  way they have the expertise todo so or the interest in policing it. It's
a  different story when a mega corporation is underwriting an event,  their
exposure is so great and the premiums so high because of it that they  can
feel justified in hiring advisors and a gaggle of lawyers to write  these
guidelines for Lotus or Mazda or GM to CTOA

But insurance companies DO dictate these things I just gave an example  where
the event chair explained the situation.  Yes, this is not in the  US.  A
video of an insurance compliant course was shown.  Look at  it and gag.  I
don't
have the insurance company letter.  I can try to  get more information on this
though.  Basically they are required to have  90 degree turns at given
distances.  Some other stuff too.  That is  how the speed is controlled and
limited.
 They do not design the courses,  no need.  If a 90 degree turn is needed
every 100 feet (not sure what the  rule is for them) then there cannot be very
high speeds.  Or long  slaloms.  Much of the video appears to have been in the
middle of 1st  gear.  I'd hope that things don't come to that.

Stan