Re: BREAKING NEWS: New ProSolo Timing System

To: Whitneys <whitneys@mindspring.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: New ProSolo Timing System
From: Eric Moon <moon-7@blazenet.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 14:03:19 -0500
At 1/19/01 Friday 12:00 AM, Stan Whitney wrote:

>As I understand it, that et only result is a hardwired limitation of the
>drag racing based system.  It can do et + rt in the challenges because it
>uses both to calculate the winning margin, which is critical in the
>challenge, but not terribly useful during class runs.
>
>Just think of it as an added challenge for the challenge,where you need to
>cut good et's + rt's, so you'd better be practicing.
>
>Stan
>

>>Mark Sipe writes:
>>
>>> Hopefully Dennis / Howard / all are listening and will use et + rt for
>>>

>>All the people I have spoken too are saying the same thing.  It makes no
>>sense to do otherwise except to create confusion; either use it for both
>>class and challenge runs or not at all.

Howard, Stan, Dennis, et al:

Count me in as part of the camp that would like to see ProSolo continue to
use E.T. + R.T. for ALL competitors' runs, not just the Challenge Rounds.

ProSolo is marketed to the consumer (read: competitor) as "the excitement
of drag racing and the skill of Solo II" and  drivers line up at the
"familiar Christmas Tree start".
If only E.T. is counted, the tree becomes irrelevant, and what you have is
closer to regular Solo II.

Part of the attraction to ProSolo for me is the actual combination of
autocross and drag racing.
Cut a good light and beat the other driver to the first gate.   Drive a
smooth, clean autocross run and cross the line first "knowing" you were
faster.   With the new system, crossing the line first might not mean
anything other than you left the light sooner.

I understand the part about E.T. and R.T. being combined for the Challenge
Rounds, but why deny the greater majority of the field the excitement that
has made ProSolo what it is?

Eric Moon

Team Wasabi Racing
2000 Acura Type R   -  G-Stock
1992 Mazda Miata     -  D-Prepared Wannabe

Appalachian Sports Car Club   -   www.scca-susq.com