Re: SM 'Street Legal?' Now: cats

To: SVPViper@aol.com
Subject: Re: SM 'Street Legal?' Now: cats
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 13:47:07 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 SVPViper@aol.com wrote:

> I'm sorry... Mark, and Eric... you guys need to climb out from under
> that CAVE!! How many ESP cars have Cats?  Is SCCA responsible for
> telling these 'Federal Offenders #1' That they need to trailer there
> cars in???
>
> Come on guys... get off it.. STS, and STR... are for you emission
> friendly whiners...  Street Mod, is for those guys who drive these
> 'Illegal Monsters' on the street...Yet don't sacrifice anything!
>
> Anyways... I guess it is to each his/her own... but a Class that
> allows Cam, Heads... etc... You guys are way off base... Cam & Heads
> aren't emmissions legal either!  The Cat is a small piece of the
> equation.... when you greenpeace guys are done... Stock class won't be
> allowed to change Mufflers! :D

Then don't require street registration.  You'll note that stock & sp
classes don't.  In those cases, if you register & drive your illegal car
on the street, its completely your decision.

In the SM case, you're explicitly requiring a street registration, which
(by federal law) requires a cat.  However, you're allowing folks to run
without cats, implicitly encouraging them to break the law.

You can't have it both ways.  Either the car doesn't need to be registered
or it does.  If you're requiring registration, you should require a cat.
Hell, I believe you're requiring "standard street equipment" like heaters
and interiors right?

Mark