Re: BREAKING NEWS: New ProSolo Timing System

To: <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>
Subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: New ProSolo Timing System
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 19:30:37 -0600
Just kinda guessing here, since I don't do a lot of Pro Solo (but as
motorsport journalist I have some understanding of how drag racing works) --
it seems part of the problem stems from one of a couple of major differences
between a Pro Solo and a drag race.

No, not the corners. But the fact that the first time you trigger the finish
lights, your race is only half done. Pro is more analogous to pro slalom
skiing, two guys on sorta mirror courses ski down, go back up, and ski down
again on the opposite side. Quickest total time wins. When you see them do
the second side you get "Wolfgang has to make up half a second on Jean-Luc,"
but reaction time does not even play in.

But could it? In the "old" pro the clock started with the green light. In
the "new" pro the clock starts when you break the start beam, but now a
dragrace style redlight (as Dennis described below) is possible if your r/t
is too quick. Okay, so you get a realtime readout as to how long it took you
to run that course. That may be useful information to you in setting up your
next run on it. But nothing says that, in the pairing, they cannot also
determine the difference between the two finish times. That is, Car Left
breaks the beam 0.035 ahead of Car Right, and so gets an 0.035 headstart
when they flip sides. It is not how long it took to run the course, it is
who breaks the beam first. Since you do a 2-sided run, the first run
determines the handicap applied to the second.

But now, with TWO launches per match, the slower car could make up all that
time just with a good light! This is cool.

Uh, something else occurs. In Pro Solo class runs, the few times I've done
it (most recently ... wasn't too recent), it really did not matter who was
first to the finish in the class runs. What mattered was strictly ET. You
could have two cars paired all six runs, one beating the other every time,
and those two still end up finishing 1-2 in the class because it was all
based on time. As in, it was NEVER a real head-to-head match until the
Challenge rounds. It was just two cars running for time that happened to be
out on course at the same time. Has that changed?

Actually, if it hasn't, IMHO it should, and could. IMHO, class competition
ought to be moved closer to the dragrace motif -- qualify Saturday, brackets
set up based on ET, eliminations Sunday. I guess the questions is -- how
many runs would it take to get eliminations in that way, and could you get
the event done? But then, perhaps with no qualifying, random-draw brackets
and double elimination ladders (instead of qualifying-based
single-elimination ladders) you could get the event in.

--Rocky Entriken