Re: BREAKING NEWS: New ProSolo Timing System

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: New ProSolo Timing System
From: Alan Dahl <adahl@eskimo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 08:34:44 -0800
On Monday, January 22, 2001, at 07:00 AM, dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:
> > Actually, if it hasn't, IMHO it should, and could. IMHO, class
> competition
> > ought to be moved closer to the dragrace motif -- qualify Saturday,
> brackets
> > set up based on ET, eliminations Sunday.
>
> Bingo! Rocky gets another cookie. I've been championing this very idea for
> a while now. Call the class competition what it REALLY is - "qualifying" -
> and put more emphasis on the point of the whole endevour, the Challenge.

Is the new system going to DNF someone for de-staging after the green light?
With the current system once it starts to count down you can roll backwards out
of stage with no penalty. With two seconds to back up before launching a lot of
people are going to try to get a good run at the lights in order to  maximize
their ET.

I agree with the majority that the system works fine as it is and that the new
system, if it is implemented, would be a big step backwards.

If the reason for not fixing the new system is because it is too difficult/too
expensive, with all the engineers on this list I can't imagine that there isn't
someone who can fix it for free. I'd sure like to see that if at all possible
rather than making ProSolo "Pro twisty drag racing" which is what Dennis seems
to be advocating.

- Alan Dahl
  ___   ____     Alan Dahl               | home: adahl@eskimo.com
 /_ /   /  /     Federal Way, WA, USA    | work: Alan.Dahl@PSS.boeing.com