Re: BREAKING NEWS: New ProSolo Timing System

To: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: New ProSolo Timing System
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 16:05:55 -0500
>> And accordingly, make the Challenge much bigger, on the order of
>> 64 or 128 cars, so that more people qualify - and then maybe we
>> won't have people treating the centerpiece of ProSolo like it was
>> some sort of afterthought or add-on.

> I agree completely; I've always thought of the class competition
> as qualifying, even though I only do one Pro a year and have yet to
> qualify (but I've been in the hard luck spot at least twice).

> Of course, to pull this off you also need to make the class
> competition smaller -- fewer prizes, less of a big deal at year-end,
> etc.  The entire points system would probably need to be revamped.

I think there's some room for compromise here.

The other really big deal about ProSolo is that it's the only
National-level series competition - which is quite possibly the reason why
the class competition aspect is so popular, now that I think about it.

As it sits right now, with large numbers of classes feeding into a single
Challenge, only 2 cars per class (on average) get into the Challenge, and
so earn Challenge points. In class competition, you earn points all the way
down to 10th place - so there's at least a carrot for perfect attendance. A
successful series needs to be able to pay points for a few positions down
from the trophy spots, especially when you have a tightly contested class
with maybe 6 drivers in the running.

To be able to completely divest ourselves from class points, we'd probably
need Challenges that qualified 8 cars per class. Do a little math there,
and you wind up with some BIG Challenges.... probably way too big to be
realistically doable.

So the current class points series is a good middle ground solution, and
doesn't really cost us anything in terms of the overall event.

> Further, is there time on Sunday to have morning class competition
> runs, and still have a double- or quad-sized challenge?  (Dropping
> the bonus challenge would probably help.)

I'd be against dropping the Bonus Challenge - it's been really popular, and
it's a great morale-booster.

With the new timing system, I'd bet things will go much faster, so that
larger Challenges could be run. And of course, each round of the Challenge
eliminates half the competitiors, so it scales well.

DG