Re: STU Rules Update Update

To: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Subject: Re: STU Rules Update Update
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 13:54:30 -0400

> (OTOH, I'd also wager that all the top cars will be forced
> induction, and all will be boosting into the realm of reduced
> reliability.)

I agree that the top cars will have to be forced induction, there's no way they
could do otherwise when we don't allow a higher diplacement level or weight
break for N/A cars - although I think some of the right-on-the-size-limit motors
might be able to make "enough" power.

As an aside though, I don't think the "boosting into reduced reliability"
necessarily holds. It takes time for turbos to spool up, and the higher the
boost numbers, the longer spoolup takes. If you try and run a really big turbo
to move massive amounts of air (like a 20G or a Frank 5) I doubt you'd _ever_
get that thing fully spooled on a typical autocross course.

I'm already doing napkin sketches for next year's car, and I'm thinking about
optimising the turbo for 20PSI, max. The danger line on pump gas is somewhere
around 25.

I think in autocross, there's a win trading throttle response for power after a
certain power point. That means there's an upper limit on the boost you want to
run, even if it is physically possible to run more.

DG