RE: STU Rules Update Update

To: "'Rick Cone'" <conekiller@cwix.com>, dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: RE: STU Rules Update Update
From: Alan Pozner <AlanP@identicard.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 14:30:16 -0400
Boys. boys, boys. All our current classes are "I" classes. We just con
eachother into believing otherwise. Relax and have fun.

Dennis' proposal is a good one... but I urge everyone to keep the rules
simple regardless of if it gives one car a competitive advantage. A wide
open class is going to always be a rich man's class at the highest level.
For us poorer competitors it will be a nice "run what ya brung" class but we
shouldn't expect to win nationally.

Regards,
Alan

On Friday, July 16, 1999 11:51 AM, Rick Cone [SMTP:conekiller@cwix.com]
wrote:
> Besides, AWD brings with it a weight and driveline power consumption
> penalty. It
> >is not a panacea. A lightweight, powerful front or rear driver is just as
> likely
> >to be able to win as an AWD car.
>
> SCCA and IMSA both thought the same thing before the Audi's came over and
> kicked everyone's but.  There is no substitue for having all 4 wheels
drive.
> Look at the Mears at Pikes Peak, look at the fastest rally cars.  Why do
you
> think AWD is banned in SCCA Showroom Stock?
>

> >STU is about diversity. It's about "run whacha bring". It's about the
> freedom to
> >do what you want within a broad formula. It's not about boring, cookie
> cutter
> >classes dedicated to single marquees.
>
> I totally disagree here.  It is not about run whacha brung.  If it was you
> would allow all cars, within your engine formula to compete.  Not just
cars
> with more then 2 seats.  This is just a 'since I am not competitive in ST
> lets make STU' or 'My car is not legal for ST so lets make STU because I
> don't want to run Prepared or Modified' and 'I don't want 2 seat sports
cars
> in the class'
>
> Don't matter how many ways you slice the cake this is still an "I" class.
> If you want this class to truely be STU, U being unlimited, unrestricted,
> uncola, unwhatever, you should allow 2 seat sports cars.  What are afraid
> of?  Competition or getting beat?
>
> Rick Cone

STU-esque
> >cars. There is a large and growing DSM autocross contingent, there are a
> number
> >of National-level DSM drivers, autocross is very visible and promoted in
> the DSM
> >community, and there's a long line-up of would-be DSM autocrossers who
only
> need
> >a class to come play in. I wouldn't be beating this drum if it were
> otherwise.
> >
> >However, being intimately familliar with these cars, having seen
first-hand
> >(thanks to Harnish and Tatum) what a small, light car can do, and having
> been
> >associated with the Sport Compact Car "scene" for a number of years, I
know
> that
> >there are lots of other cars out there (and undoubtably, lots of cars I
> don't
> >even know about) that have just as much potential in this class as the
DSMs