Re: STU Rules Update Update

To: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: STU Rules Update Update
From: "Kent Rafferty" <gs96@sgi.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 15:18:26 -0400
  Jay wrote:
            >Regardless of what provisions are made or what
            >classes are invented, people who show up with cars
            >.they modified with some other purpose than autox
            >in mind will generally wind up uncompetitively classed.

This is an important point. If the intent of this new class is to
provide a competitive class for tweaked street cars that now
would be dumped into Mod, are the owners of these cars
going to feel any better when they're matched up against Rick's
RX-3 with RX-7 TT motor, or Jay's killer Lotus, or any cars
that are maxed out to the limits of the rules?

  Jay added:
                >Our greatest growth is in Novice class, with Street Tire
                >also doing pretty well. Street Touring has had between
                >zero and three entries in fields ranging from 100-140
                >cars, so I wouldn't  say it's setting the world on fire.

I don't think Novice and Street Tire are classes in the traditional
sense -they're similar in concept to a PAX class that pulls
cars/drivers from the standard classes. If a region has Novice
and Street Tire categories, then it's just diluted much of the intent
and attraction of Street Touring.

Kent Rafferty