Re: SVRA Points

To: gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com, Bahnseye@aol.com, rem9@cornell.edu,
Subject: Re: SVRA Points
From: S800Racer@aol.com
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 23:36:49 EDT
In a message dated 9/25/99 10:15:59 PM, gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com writes:

<<I would certainly be enclined to classify a spin as overdriving.>>

100% agreed.
    There are some who advocate the position that you can't find the edge of
the envelope if you don't spin sometime.  This must be recognized as a
dangerous, incorrect and very vintage-inappropriate attitude.  It doesn'
tmatter what you are driving, at some point you can feel the front of the car
"wash out" or the back end "get a little loose".  Guess what?  That is the
car telling you that you are approaching the edge of the envelope.  You can
find that edge WITHOUT spinning, going off the track or hitting anyone.  You
just have to take your time and work up to it slowly.  (or at a pace
commensurate with your level of experience)
    I contend that some of the very best drivers in the history of motor
racing were well known for NOT making mistakes:  Fangio, Clark, Gurney,
Stewart, Prost, Senna - It was a very rare and noteworthy event when one of
these guys went off because they simply "overdid it".  In other words, first
rate driving in vintage or otherwise means keeping it on the track and
finding the limit without exceeding your own limits.

    Doug Meis.