Re: SVRA Points

To: "'vintage-race@autox.team.net'" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SVRA Points
From: Tom M <tmatycho@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 22:18:13 -0700

DonJQueen@aol.com wrote:

><snip>
>
> Spoken like a man who has never spent his spare time at a board meeting
> arguing until the wee hours about the proper penalty to be assessed to an
> offending driver.
> Without rules, standards and (perhaps) points, I pity the driver who has a
> minor incident on a bad weekend when the board decides that things are
> getting out of hand.
> I applaud the SVRA point system. I'd rather know what to expect rather than
> be subject to the whim of a board on a bad night.
> Don Queen

Theoretically points deductions are good, but they fail the immediacy
requirement.  I recall last spring's driver's meeting at the CSRG T-hill
event, where someone in high dudgeon held a yellow tablet in his hand,
bemoaning the "two pages" of instances of passing under the yellow from
the Sears Point event the month before.  I have no knowledge of the
mechanics of recording and transmitting this information, but the
thought does strike me that if two pages of passers under yellow could
be accurately recorded on paper, that had that info been transmitted to
the steward so as to result in a black flag and the offending persons
sitting out at lap or two, the list wouldn't have been so long, and
there'd be fewer worries for the next event.

Points allow those most in need of the lesson to persist in the illusion
that what is aberrational is not their conduct, but that they got
caught.

--
Tom M.