Re: SVRA Points

To: Bahnseye@aol.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SVRA Points
From: Russ Moore <rem9@cornell.edu>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 08:56:52 -0400
Folks,
Looking at the big picture, if you would, it is a positive move for a
sanctioning body to discourage wreckless behavior which places participants
safety at risk as well as their cars. VARAC has discouraged such behavior
in the past, although not with a point system. SVRA, as events grow and the
fields expand is looking out for the safety of their membership. This is a
good thing. Nobody wants to bring their car home in any worse condition
than when it was entered in a race event. As some of the organizations
adjust their entry qualifications, a point system emphasizes the need for
having one's head on straight and in the right mode.
The red mist sneaks up on many from time to time, hopefully less as time
goes on.

I do not read this as a measure to hurt the sport/hobby/event, but rather a
reinforcement of the need for safe(r) competition and to discourage some
recent behavior at some events.

10 years of vintage racing(not incident free)
Russ Moore