Re: SVRA Points

To: <Bahnseye@aol.com>, <rem9@cornell.edu>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SVRA Points
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 19:11:52 -0700
I would certainly be enclined to classify a spin as overdriving.  I have
been racing since 1979, over 60 events, usually finish in the top 10 running
against cars that should by all rights be in a class higher than my car, and
have only spun once, and that was when an axle broke and a rear wheel came
off.  For me, driving as fast as I can while not going off the road of into
another car is the name of the game.  Spining out means you are out of
control. Out of control means you are overdriving your ability to go fast
"safely" under the circimstances prevailing at that time.  I have had my car
since it was new, 1964, and I would like to race with the folks around me
being  "under control" and not about to crash into me any minute because
they are racing on the verge of being  "out of control"  of their cars.
    I guess the question  is how close to the 10/10'ths edge can you safely
get consistantly without falling over the edge.  Each driver needs to make
that judgement for himself.  I f is unable to do so with consistancy, then
someone needs to make it for him to safeguard the rest of us.

Regards,

Greg Solow