Re: newbie on list, somewhat long

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: newbie on list, somewhat long
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 06:24:03 +0100
In article <002501c10e2d$8fc8c020$03ed07c3@jonmac>, John Macartney
<jonmac@ndirect.co.uk> writes
>In article <040e01c10ce2$00908ce0$7cc50404@doogie>, E Klos
><chevynova@peoplepc.com> writes
>
>>would it be an
>>unwise decision on my part to get a Spitfire, and expect to be a
>decent daily
>>driver with minimal problems given regular maintenace?
>
>Mike Hargreaves Mawson replied:
>SNIP
>These cars are old, and they were
>built by the most disaffected workforce in the world
>SNIP
>
>That's coming on a bit strong. I was part of that workforce at the
>time!

Can you name another workforce anywhere in the world that went on strike
more often?   I was a schoolboy at the time, so my grasp of current
affairs may not have been 100%, but I certainly got the impression that
British workers were less than happy with their lot.  Not just the car
workers, either, but the dockers, the miners, the dustmen, the postal
workers, the power workers, even the bakers and the firemen went on long
and bitter strikes during my childhood.

I should point out that I do not mean to imply that British workers were
*wrong* to be disaffected in the 1970s.

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"