Re: newbie on list, somewhat long

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: newbie on list, somewhat long
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 09:16:58 +0100
In article <040e01c10ce2$00908ce0$7cc50404@doogie>, E Klos
<chevynova@peoplepc.com> writes

>would it be an
>unwise decision on my part to get a Spitfire, and expect to be a decent daily
>driver with minimal problems given regular maintenace?

Only if you buy the most expensive, and best looked-after, one you can
find.   My Spit is a daily driver, gets regular maintenance, and still
gives regular and frequent problems.   These cars are old, and they were
built by the most disaffected workforce in the world, for sale to people
who didn't understand (or want to know about) what went on under the
bonnet.   Subsequently they tended to be bought second-hand by
impecunious students whose idea of repair and maintenance was any-old-
bodge to keep the things running.   Spend USD5000 on a  Spit, and you
should be fine; spend less than that, and be prepared for problems.

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"