Re: newbie on list, somewhat long

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: newbie on list, somewhat long
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 05:44:42 +0100
In article <6d.16f39999.28865924@aol.com>, McGaheyRx@aol.com writes
>In a message dated 7/17/01 7:22:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time, SDOliner@aol.com
>writes:
>

>> Wow, but all this guy wanted to do was drive a Spitfire
>> Think someone hit a raw nerve.
>>
>oh, i didn't think so - I really thought John's remarks were well
>reasoned and insightful (as they always are)
>
>only I have 1 question: what are "dustmen" ??

These days they prefer to be known as "Refuse Disposal Operatives".   In
the 1970s they were all public servants, directly employed by local
government.   Today they are all employees of private companies,
"contracted out" under CCT ("Compulsory Competitive Tendering" - more
Thatcherite legislation, which assumes that the best person for the job
is the one who is cheapest).   To over-simplify somewhat, it is now
illegal for a public body to contract for goods or services over a
certain value on the basis of the quality of those goods or services.

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"