newbie on list, somewhat long

To: "E Klos" <chevynova@peoplepc.com>
Subject: newbie on list, somewhat long
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 09:34:21 -0400
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "E Klos"
>Just joined the list, I've always been the habit of introducing myself on
the
lists that I join.  My name is Eric Klos, living in the Metro Detroit area
right now (I've been moving a lot lately), 21 years old, work for Ford in a
trim plant.  Triumphs are really the only car that I can honestly say that
have liked ever since I got into cars, my favorite is the Spitfire, altho
the
TR-7 does something for me too (don't ask why, I don't know, lol) I've
always
loved the small european drop top roadsters and sports cars, and currently
running a 1989 Saab 900, unfortunetly its a hard top tho.  I always stop to
drool over the Triumphs, Fiats, MGs, classic Saabs, Opels and Lotuses I see
on
the road.  Anyway, I'm currently looking at getting myself a Spitfire,
altho
the people on my Saab board say that there are two things that one should
never be to do while in therapy (I'm a manic depressive too)-get a tattoo,
or
buy a Triumph.  I've heard plenty of horror stories about Triumphs, namely
massive oil leak problem they all seem to have, but then I also heard
similar
horror stories about Saabs, and so far I've haven't any major problems with
my
900.  I know the answers here will be slightly biased, but would it be an
unwise decision on my part to get a Spitfire, and expect to be a decent
daily
driver with minimal problems given regular maintenace?  My only
requirements
is that it has to be a rag top and a manual gearbox........thanks
<

Eric, welcome to the list.  My advice in terms of acquiring a Triumph is
that if you enjoy working on cars and get a feeling of accomplishment after
fixing a minor (or major) problem then you should get a Triumph.  They are
easy to work on, straight forward, parts are readily available and the
support network is very good.

Horror stories?  Well, if you are a person that is stymied at any little
malfunction then your ownership will be filled with horror stories.  Any 20
- 40 year old car will start experiencing minor electrical and hydraulic
problems.  And for a person who is unwilling or unable to do basic
maintenence these can be real show stoppers.  But for a person who can do
basic trouble shooting these are just the spice in old car ownership.  The
sense of accomplishment at resolving these occasional situations only
serves to enrichen the experience.

Massive oil leakes?  If massive oil leaks means spots on the garage floor
then you can expect that with any car that is 20+ years old.  The seals get
old and stiff, the shaft surfaces that the seals ride on wear and corrode
and the seals will leak.  But massive?  Only if you get the oil filter
canister on wrong.

So if you like to tinker with cars, a Triumph is a good therapeutic hobby
to have.

Oh, and tell your SAAB board to stuff it.  If it weren't for Triumph there
may very well be no SAAB.  SAAB got many parts and assemblies from Triumph
in the early years.

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO USA
57 TR3