previous owner, grease selection, brake fluid, lead-free gas

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: previous owner, grease selection, brake fluid, lead-free gas
From: Henry Mendenhall <hhm@eticomm.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 11:04:23 -0400
There seem to be several areas where not knowing what
the previous owner did can cause trouble.   Three of them
are: his choice of grease, his choice of brake fluid, and
his decision about lead-free gas.  I'm hoping that there
are some standard techniques for finding out what he did,
or maybe some standard practices for what can be ignored.

I've had my 1960 TR3A for about a year now, and I'm getting
ready to use my grease gun.  It's loaded with a lithium-based
grease, as recommended by the 1962 Olyslager book.  But
the book also says not to intermix greases of different brands.
I'm guessing that greases of different brands are not too big
an issue, as long as I'm not mixing lithium-based with non
lithium-based.   I've asked some local mechanics if there's
a way to tell what the previous owner used, but they don't
seem to have an approach.  And actually, I don't care too
much about the previous owner's choices, as long as nothing
too awful happens if I do end up with a mix of different grease
types.   But no one I've talked to seems to know what the
problem with intermixing is.  So how is this situation usually
handled?  Can I go ahead and start pumping in my lithium
grease without worrying?

I'm more sure that mixing synthetic with non-synthetic brake
fluid is a problem.  Is there a good way to tell what's in the
reservoir now?

I also don't know if the previous owner installed a new head
designed to run with unleaded gas.   Assuming that there's
no easy way to tell if this was done, is it safe to play it
safe by using a lead substitute in the gas?  In other words,
can I damage an unleaded gas head by using lead substitute?

thanks,

-Henry Mendenhall
1960 TR3A, Southern NJ