Re: Wrenches (spanners in the UK)

To: John McEwen <mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
Subject: Re: Wrenches (spanners in the UK)
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 19:26:00 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi friends,
as a small comment to the recent thread on odd or such threads...

John McEwen skrev:
> Most LBCs prior to the sixties used Whitworth fasteners - except
> Standard-Triumph.

And except all the MG T-series! They used the "Mad Metric" type in
their engines! The most weird of all standardized fasteners ever!!!

Mad Metric was [is] a line of fasteners that emerged after the
Nuffield Group purchase of the French Hotchkiss engine plant in
the early thirties... To save on production and handtooling costs
they kept the metric size threads BUT changed the heads to standard
Whitworth size heads!?!  ;-(
So Nuffield group engines from around 1936 up to 195x something had
these weird Mad Metric fasteners. How typically British.

It really does wonders for ones spare part storing system! ;-)
Not only we have to stock UNF, UNC, Whitworth and Metric bolts, set-
screws, nuts and nyloc nuts... We also have to stock a horrible half-
breed between Whitworth and [a few really odd French] Metric sizes.
And not the ordinary M4, M6, M8, M10 etc sizes to that. No, the
French had to use the in-between sizes of M7, M9 etc [which is OK and
legal standard in the metric thread system, BUT definitely] not used
anywhere in the rest of the metric civilization...

Just my two coins worth of thoughts...

But I do recommend the SI system of measurements!!!
As long as we do not let the French use it into the extreme, then
such accidents happen as the M7 and M9 threaded bolts... ;-)

Yours
/Odd

--

Odd Hedberg