Re: Wrenches (spanners in the UK)

To: jimbpps@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Wrenches (spanners in the UK)
From: ArthurK101 <ArthurK101@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 18:30:44 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 98-01-07 14:57:09 EST, jimbpps@worldnet.att.net writes:

> What you say sounds correct. However, many if not all of the SU
>  carbuerators and the fuel line fittings of the  British cars I have
>  worked on, do use Whitworth fasteners!!!!

Jim,  OK, I said that I was waiting for corrections etc.  Yours is the first.

Your first comment makes sense because SU's were an older design (pre-50's at
least) and their carbs were purchased in the '50's and 60's by Standard
Triumph for use on TR cars.  As I said the Brits moved away from the Whitworth
standard in 1944 but any tooling etc. which existed at that time would have
been used until it wore out.

Your second comment about fuel lines also fits into the category of "use of
manufacturing tools until the tools wear out."

Thanks for both your comments.  However, my opinion remains that you will find
few Whitworth nuts, bolts or screws on TR's and the later the TR model the
less.  Your later comment   "Anyone planning to work on their SU's, especially
those with the threaded fastners on the fuel lines (as opposed to the press
fit rubber
fuel lines as used in the 1959 and later TRs), should have at least ..." gives
credence to this idea.  Some companies continued to use Whitworth stuff well
into the late '60's, I think Aston Martin was one, but Triumph did not.
Cheers.

Art Kelly