Re: Wrenches (spanners in the UK)

To: 1- Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Wrenches (spanners in the UK)
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 21:01:45 +0100
Friends,
let's not get upset and wander away from our main issue; the
Triumph automobiles... I think we should drop this subject for
this time around.  It will probably surface in one guise or
another during the years to come, but I feel we all know what
the differences are... So this will be my last posting on the
subject of measurements for now;

Sure, it's a fact that the SI system of measurements is THE
internationally agreed standard system of measurements, AND
it's also a fact that the USA in general, with the exception
of their military and scientific complex, refuse to adopt the
agreement.  Let's not be upset about that.  It's a sad fact
the rest of us just have to live with.

[Their military also use the ADA computer language - something
they have been pursuing for years without apparent success
among the rest of the US computer literate... Why? It's a very
good language. To many conservatives in that area also? What's
wrong with a liberal amount of "adapting to the forces of future"
instead of always sticking to "the way it was always done"...?]

I for one have no problem whatsoever to convert the archaic US
measurements into their SI counterpart and vice versa. I guess
that goes for most, if not all, of us who have spent more than
5 years in school when younger. And I don't call it cheating to
use a book to check the standards and conversion factors... ;-)
Something I have to do with regularity at work when stumbling over
US made components in the plant. OK, it's a Swedish reactor, a
Swiss turbine and generator etc, but for some strange reason the 4
[one is a spare] single phase transformers is by Westinghouse... ;-(

Comments,

Joe; 1 fathom is 1.8288 meters. No problem... Any other strange
measurements You want interpreted? [A fathom is also; 2 yards,
or 8 spans or 32 nails or 72 inches...]

Bob; In Vietnam You got problems simply because You shouldn't have
been there in the first place... And probably the conscripts thought
so to. Blaming the metric system is unfair I think.

Yours
/Odd

--

Odd Hedberg