Re: Wrenches (spanners in the UK)

To: ArthurK101 <ArthurK101@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Wrenches (spanners in the UK)
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 13:40:00 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Good review of the subject Art.  The biggest obstacle to complete
metrification in Canada of course is the US.  The constant need to use two
systems - because of US-Canada trade has been one of the greatest burdens
on our economy.  One of the most frustrating things for mechanics has been
metric hybrid cars which were produced starting about 1977 where many of
the fasteners were metric in a car which was largely inch measure.

On the TR7 the engine and many associated parts use metric sizes thus it is
somewhat like most American cars of the late '70s - early '80s where the
mechanic must take two sets of wrenches to work on the car.  Particularly
frustrating was the choice of some sizes on GM cars of that era where
uncommon metric sizes - such as 18mm - were used on fasteners which
required regular attention, such as adjusting bolts for engine belts.
Check the average package set of metric wrenches or sockets.  Notice which
sizes are not regularly a part of the set.  GM chose those.

BTW, my Standard Vanguard uses all SAE fasteners which is as you have
stated correct.  The Vanguard, introduced in 1948, was the first
Standard-Triumph vehicle to do so.  It was also the first LBC to use a
nearly square bore/stroke ratio.

John McEwen