Re: Wrenches (spanners in the UK)

To: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Wrenches (spanners in the UK)
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 18:01:02 -0800
Cc: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>, TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Dave Massey wrote:

> Just kidding.  Your point is well taken.  Although the metric system
> is 200 years old it is far more modern and logical than the old "English"
> system (which isn't necessarily "English" in origin) which is based on
> the length of somebody's FOOT!  And how many rods are in a furlong?

There are other (and more obscure) measurements whose origins are
questionable and present additional obstacles to conversion.  Acres, bushels,
pecks, leagues, etc.  I can't even "fathom" how to convert water depth into
the metric system.

Hopefully, I'll be long gone before I have to worry about it.  I'm lucky to
figure out how to spell some of those words!

Joe Curry