Re: TRF

To: tigerpb@ids.net (Paul Burr)
Subject: Re: TRF
From: DUHART JOHN <duhart@symbol.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 97 11:18:03 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>Been following the TRF debate, Yes, I like their service and the parts
>quality is excellent. But, in capitalist economy, if they go under (and
>I sincerely hope they don't) do we really lose?
>The usual M.O. when a company folds is the creditors auction off the
>assest's. I don't think the other parts suppliers will sit back if this
>happens. They'll get the stock at fire sale prices. Then, hopefully,
>this stock will be back in the retail chain. Maybe at Sale prices, which
>benefits all of us.

        Oh boy, your going to get a lot of mail with this one!

        Let me point out what I think is the error in your conclusions.  Yes,
the creditors would auction off the stock of the company.  However you
assume that TRF's inventory consists of parts you and I want.  Given how
there is a large percentage of backorders with each order I would wonder
if this is the case.  TRF stock probably consists of parts that they had
to buy in a large quantity to justify the tooling costs to produce a new
part.  For instance those original TR3 door clips that Charles was
talking about.  Another type of item is the British Gas-mask bag that TRF
bought a bunch of  and is now selling for $14.95.  How many of these
types of items are you going to buy at fireside prices?

        Sales prices do benefit us all, but when TRF as its winter parts sale
or
their current %15 sale their prices fall in line with most other
distributors that are also running sales.  (I can only speak for the TR6,
since those are the only cars parts I buy).

        Now the question becomes would anyone want to lose TRF for the short
term benefit of a fireside sale of their stock, which may or maynot
consist of items we want?  I say NO!  They are still more valuable to me
as  a company.

        TRF might look into opening their doors to wholesalers a bit more.
Dick
Burgers ability to get discounted parts from suppliers is very nice.  It
would be great if he could get those prices from TRF to funnel more
business their way.  (unless TRF has decided they don't want that
business.)

        All companies should be supported, but the one I like the best should
be
supported the best buy me. (what you do is your choice)  If another
company has a part at a big discount where quality is not an issue then
the other guy get my business.  (i.e  Moss stainless stell brake-line
hoses $70.00 vs TRF $90.  I went with Moss).

        I know your post was just conjecture, but it was the type of conjecture
that requires a response.

later,
JHD IV