Re: Smog tests?

To: BrianK@ttgwest.com, mdporter@rt66.com
Subject: Re: Smog tests?
From: kboetzer@auspex.com (Ken Boetzer)
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 09:23:42 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

Mike Porter wrote:
> When I first got out of the army in 1970, I had a `63 Spit shipped back
> from Hawaii, and, immediately upon discharge, drove it south to visit a
> guy I knew who was running a hamburger (soyburger?? <g>) stand on Newport
> Beach.  I got about five miles onto the Ventura freeway and smelled fumes
> of some sort.  Stopped, checked the carbs and the exhaust, and went on my
> way.  Couple of miles later, my eyes are watering--had to stop again.
> Did this about five times until it hit me that the problem was the
> concentration of unburned fuel and smog around the freeway.
> emissions controls?  In an automotive engineering sense, the two are very
> closely linked today.
SNIP

The first time I was in the L.A. area was 1962. I came in from the backwoods of
Minnesota, (clean air and water in those days). The air in L.A. had a very
strong
TASTE and there was a oily coating on the roof of ones mouth and the back of the
throat. I suspect there were about 1/3 the number of cars back then. Industry
was
pretty much uncontrolled as well, so as usual, the cars weren't the only
culprit.
The voters deceided what was best, and C.A.R.B. was born. As usual denial sets
in,
and we loose the sense of history, so we kind of forget how we got here. A time
travel machine would be very helpful so those who desire the old open loop type
carburated cars for most daily use could experience the "good old days".

Cheers,

Ken Boetzer