RE: Smog tests?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Smog tests?
From: BrianK@ttgwest.com (Brian Knopp)
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 09:25:46 -0500
At 06:11 PM 7/9/96 -0400, Wes Grady wrote:
>I probably shouldn't even get into this argument, but.....

  None of us should <g>.  I think we're all adult enough to remain civil
here, aren't we?

>the reason we have the laws is because not everyone (present company
excluded, >of course) can be trusted to do what is right for the whole of
society.

  But then who decides what *is* "right for the whole of society"?  As I get
older I find myself questioning the very *concept* of "the common good" more
and more, especially when defined and implemented by the folks in DC.  *I*
know what's best for me far more clearly than Bill C. or Newt G.

  I think Franklin said it best: "When people are willing to surrender a
portion of their liberty to increase their security, they end up deserving
neither."  This may not be an exact quote, but it's close.

Brian Knopp
Programmer
Travel Technologies Group