Re[2]: Smog tests?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, BrianK@ttgwest.com (Brian Knopp)
Subject: Re[2]: Smog tests?
From: "Jim Sudduth" <jim.sudduth@autodesk.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 96 15:29:09 PST
     Well, I'm not going to flame you :-). I'd just like to bring up
     something that doesn't seem to get much (if any) mention when talking
     about electric cars: battery disposal. Yes, batteries and their parts
     can be recycled, but only to a point, then you've got some really
     nasty and persistent chemicals and materials to get rid of. So besides
     the problem of simply moving pollution sources from one point to
     another as Brian mentions below, there's the problem of battery
     disposal which is already a bad problem as I write and getting worse.

     I think hybrid cars are the way to go. Imagine a small engine, powered
     by something like natural gas, running banks of alternators that power
     small electric motors on each wheel. The engine could be optimized for
     fuel consumption because it runs at one RPM all the time, its
     emissions could be scrubbed 'til they squeeked, the whole system is
     lightweight (especially when compared to a battery-only car), the
     cruising range would be excellent, the recyclable content is high,
     disposal problems low and best of all, the technology exists right
     now. I know some companies (Volvo for one) is working on these, so why
     don't we hear more about them? What's all this hypocritical bs about
     zero emissions cars that aren't?

     Now I'll put my head down and watch the tracers whizz by :-)

     Jim