Re: Smog tests?

To: kboetzer@auspex.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, ak627@dayton.wright.edu
Subject: Re: Smog tests?
From: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 15:25:46 -0400
In a message dated 96-07-08 19:45:35 EDT, kboetzer@auspex.com (Ken Boetzer)
writes:

<< Toms point is WELL taken. We all need to remember one mans floor is
another
 mans ceiling. We don't live alone. My exhaust is not just my problem. If we
 all drove our cars with a plastic bag over our heads that was connected to
 the exhaust pipe of our car we would be a little more careful about what
came
 out and how much we drove. Given the increase in traffic in the L.A. basin
 in the last 30 years it's a massive technical achievement that anyone can
live
 there at all.  >>

Okay, fine.  I would not dispute or argue with any point Ken or Tom makes .
 BUT, (mounting soapbox) if all LBCs, or indeed if all cars over 20 years
old, were removed from the road tomorrow, would the L.A. basin or Ohio River
valley be any cleaner??
Do'nt get me wrong: if my daily driver (85 volvo 740 Turbo) ever flunks a
smog test, I'll fix it so it passes and leave it that way after it passes; if
zero emmission new cars become the law  of the land, I"ll probably buy one
and plug it in; If the township or Penn DOT would put a ped/bike bridge up
next to the narrow 2 lane bridge over the PA turnpike that i drive over
 every day, i would ride a bike to work every day. Ihate smog and i'll bet
everyone on this list hates smog. But how many people have made how many
posts now about  playing with different things and making multiple trips to
to take smog tests ??? and are'nt they all going to retune the car to run
RIGHT (no matter how dirty) after the test is passed???  SO IS'NT iT STUPID
TO HAVE TO DO ALL THIS FOR CARS WE HARDLY EVER DRIVE OR ONLY DRIVE ON CLEAR
DAYS ANYWAY !!??!!??

thank you
soap box dismounted, nomex on
Jack Mc
73 TR6 (worlds longest running TR6 restoration- emitting NO gases since Nov
1985)