Re: So now what is my clutch doing?

To: RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: So now what is my clutch doing?
From: KVacek@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 08:31:33 -0400

>At a guess, I would say that if your clutch is new, then it 'may' be caused
>by
>a bad bearing in the overdrive unit, I was told about this by John Kipping
>when
>a friends car started slipping.  Apparently there was a certain 'year range'

>for this, which I think was sometime around 78-79.

Thank you for jogging my memory...
This may be the one-way (overrunning) clutch in the overdrive.  Despite my
certainty that the problem in mine was due to slipping cone clutches in the
OD, the overrunning clutch (which looks like a bearing, sort of) transmits
all the power when overdrive is not engaged, and could well be the culprit.
 It's an innocent-looking little thing, but vital.  It works metal-to-metal
-- no friction facings.  It allows the output shaft to either turn at the
same speed as the input shaft (when OD is disengaged), or faster (when OD is
engaged).

-Karl