RE: So now what is my clutch doing?

To: "'Nickbk@aol.com'" <Nickbk@aol.com>
Subject: RE: So now what is my clutch doing?
From: Chris and Karen Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 19:48:10 -0700
Cc: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>

----------
From:   Nickbk@aol.com[SMTP:Nickbk@aol.com]
Sent:   Wednesday, July 10, 1996 4:52 PM
To:     prubrew@ix.netcom.com; triumphs@autox.team.net

>Hopefully I have misunderstood your posting...
  >             Nick in Nor Cal

Nick,
        Fortunately, you did get things a little twisted.
This is a 76 O/D trans I picked up for a song and am trying
to adapt to my 72 MK IV Spit.
After a series of small setbacks, I got the sucker all hooked up
mechanically, but could not figure the best way to wire the
electrics as there is a different diagram for every year from 68 to 80.
These diagrams varied just enough that I decided to leave
everything disconnected till I could nail down just the right pattern.
So, I take her out to the nearby lbc mechanic to get his take on things
and as I started out I was getting some slippage upon takeoff and a
couple more times in first and second gears.  I got varied responses
from the list, one of which was that there is a clutch setup in the O/D
itself that must have a completed circuit to function properly,
whether the O/D is engaged or not.  At any rate, I hooked up the wiring
using the diagram from the year the trans was built.  Everything worked fine
for three days, then this afternoon it slipped on takeoff again :<(.
I plan on going to the Moss Motors meet in Solvang/Buelton over the 18-21
and hopefully will have a good idea on what to do after that.....pull the O/D
unit
off the trans and have it rebuilt is the most likely option right now.

Chris "looks like I picked a bad week to stop thinking" Prugh