TR generators

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (triumph cars list)
Subject: TR generators
From: asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Adrian Jefferies)
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 13:03:13 +0100 (BST)
Cc: RMAIL@aol.com
hi

RMAIL@aol.com (is that a valid address) asked about generators:

I'm no expert, but I think I scored maximum points for the number of times
I pulled my generators last year. This was due to extreme cheapness on my part,
rather than inherent flaws in the design ...

The usual cause of bad generators is bad brushes; its not too tricky to change
them.
However, on the generators I had, either a) bearings shot, b) field coils shot,
c) commutator shot. Despite much mixing & matching I had to admit defeat & get
an
exchange unit.  I also had a high voltage generator, 32V in my case. I had
assumed
it had been rewound for a truck or something; maybe there is a fault that makes
them
appear as very high - it end-stopped the ammeter though.

Finally, the regulators are quite robust & usually trouble free. You can check
for burns & scorched contacts & carfully clean the faces. Its not usual to have
to adjust them; if you do, use extreme care & the manual (they could stick,
discharging the battery via generator ....). Yours is probably ok.

My advice; get the original TR3A generator & figure out why it doesnt work.
Then, if its not simple, part-exchange it. And remember to put oil in the oiler!
[ else the ignition light will come on followed by a horrible screeching sound
when
  bearing failure allows metal meets metal! Alas I know the sound ]

--

Regards, Adrian + TR4 (dynamos r us)
        asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk