Re: So now what is my clutch doing?

To: SFSANFNS1@ny.ubs.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, British-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: So now what is my clutch doing?
From: Nickbk@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 04:00:57 -0400
Chris-
You ask about your slipping clutch...

Sherman, Mr Peabody...to the wayback machine !
Back when the west was young, and Daytona Beach was the place to be on spring
break, and they actually let you drive on the beach, I did. Yes, I drove a
TR3 on the beach at Daytona, and achieved a record breaking , oh say 10 miles
per hour. The heck with visions of Lee Petty, there were visions of young
lovely to look at, and 10mph was just about the right speed. I only mention
this because after crusing the beach all day,"Earl Junior", my TR3, developed
a heck of a clutch slip. Every time I shifted, it would slip for a second,
and then grab, especially in second. I nursed the car home a few days later
and started in on it. Everything looked normal as I started the job. Luckily
I decided to pull the slave cylinder apart first , and discovered that it had
copious amounts of Daytona Beach sand inside.The boot was still firmly
attatched over the end, but the sand had gotten in anyway, and had slowed the
movement of the piston, so that it seemed as though the clutch was slipping,
but in reality, the clutch slave cylinder was only letting the pressure out
slowly, due to the sand inside of the cylinder.
So, even though there is no apparent leak from you clutch cylinders, I would
look very carefully for the dreaded Daytona Syndrome !

Nothin Worse than Sand in the Operating Apparatus
                           Nick in Nor Cal