Re: So now what is my clutch doing?

To: prubrew@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: So now what is my clutch doing?
From: CBrown1500@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 1996 23:25:42 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Chris,

Man, this is turning out to be the Triumph from Hell!

Generally,  if a clutch is slipping, it'll do it all the time, when under
load. Just because the pressure plate and friction disk is new doesn't make
them good. I've had a friction disk fail (it lost one of the anti-chatter
springs) after about 500 miles.

Was the flywheel turned, or at least given a non-directional finish, when you
did the change over? Did you notice any glazing or bluing of the flywheel?
Did you clean the friction disk,  flywheel, and pressure plate with brake
cleaner immediately before reassembly? - any grease or oil on those surfaces
can cause slippage. A little grease or oil on your hands, transferred to one
of those surfaces, could be causing the problem.

If it becomes a real problem, disassembly and inspection is the only answer.
Sorry, please don't shoot the messenger! I don't have enough knowledge of
O/Ds, working or not, to know if it could be causing an intermittent problem.

Keep me posted,
Charlie B.